I know we are all thinking the same thing this time of year: where are the margaritas at? Because we all know how many calories are in regular margaritas, which can be a total buzz kill for enjoying the festivities, we’ve dedicated this article to all you lovelies who are trying to keep your summer beach body! We know you don’t want to compromise all the hard work you’ve put in, and guess what, you don’t have to! The recipes listed below are perfect for enjoying the Cinco de Mayo festivities while still being healthy and keeping your figure! Yes, you can have the best of both worlds, why not?
Vegan Skinny Girl Frozen Margarita
Celebrating Cinco de Mayo and drinking frosty cold margaritas come hand in hand! This vegan margarita features agave nectar, fruit, tequila, and sea salt on the rim! This recipe serves 4 people. Yum!
- Sea salt
- 6 ounces of tequila
- 2 ounces of triple sec
- 2 ounces of agave nectar
- 1 cup of fresh fruit (strawberries, raspberries, kiwi, mango, melon, etc.)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 cups of crushed ice
- Sprinkle salt in a small plate.
- Dip margarita glasses in water then place rims in the salt to coat.
- Place remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until combined.
- Pour into glasses and serve.
Vegan Pink Lemonade Margarita
This frozen margarita is also vegan and features a lovely little twist of pink lemonade for an ultra refreshing taste while still being a healthy Cinco de Mayo option!
- 1-cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- Lime zest from 1 lime
- 1/2-cup fresh pink lemonade
- 1-cup tequila (more or less depending on how strong you want it)
- 2 Tbsp. triple sec
- Tons of ice
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend.
- Pour into four glasses, you can rim the glass with sea salt or opt not to!
- Garnish with a lime wedge and drink up!
Vegan Kidney Bean Dip
Here’s a great bean dip recipe for any Cinco de Mayo festivity that is both delicious and healthy! Giving the normal bean dip a vegan twist, substitute pinto beans for the powerful red kidney bean, which is very high in Iron. This recipe serves 6 people total.
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1/4-cup salsa (diced tomato, onion, cilantro)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1-2 avocados
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients. Pulse until combined and somewhat smooth
- Scoop onto a serving dish and serve with vegetable sticks or tortilla chips
- Top with diced avocado
Try these healthy versions of Cinco de Mayo festive food and enjoy the party while still keeping your figure! Also, for all your other Cinco de Mayo recipes try substituting regular ingredients for vegan ones and you’re bound to save some calories! Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!
Written By Chelsea Clishem: From San Diego, California to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, this bicoastal girl loves all things travel, beauty, nutrition, fitness, fashion and entertainment. Chelsea graduated from the University of California, Santa Barbara where she began her journey to be an entertainment journalist. Chelsea drops the word ‘fabulous’ on the regular and believes it’s ‘okay’ to freak out with good music and fashion!