Did You Know The Muscles of Your Midsection Work as a Natural Corset? Try These 5 Exercises to Naturally Cinch Your Waistline!
The inner muscle layer reaching from the front, side and back parts of the midsection need to be targeted in order to achieve a smaller waist. According to professor of exercise at Auburn University, Michele Olson, Ph.D., “Most women don’t know they need to work the entire perimeter of their midsection—especially the inner layer—to get a smaller waist.” This muscle that forms the inner layer of the waistline is called the transverse abdominis, which literally works as a built-in corset when targeted, naturally pulling and cinching in your waistline like a drawstring. Practice each exercise below to target and work the transverse abdominis, cinching your waistline naturally from the inside out. While doing each of these exercises always remember to focus on the core and pull your navel to the spine. For full video demonstrations of the exercises, please visit BlogilatesTv on YouTube.
1. Combination Plank. First, get into ‘plank’ position. Place the arm on the side in which you’ll be working, slightly in front of the other arm, as demonstrated in the picture above. Butt pike all the way up and then, as you are coming back down into plank, twist dip the hip to the side. Make sure the hip barely touches the ground as you twist dip and that you revert back into plank before each rep. Do 10-20 times then switch sides and repeat.
2. Candle Stick Dip. Position yourself upright on your knees and put one leg out to the side as the other is kneeling. With your arms extended straight above your head and aligned with your ears, dip to the same side of the bent knee. As you are dipping to the side, move your arms in an upward reaching motion for a few seconds, then come up by pressing through the waistline. As you do this exercise, you should be feeling your obliques working on the same side as the bent knee. Switch to the other side. Suggestion: try 10-20 reps on each side per set.
3. Hip Touches. Get into plank position using the elbows this time, with legs fully extended. Leading with each hip, dip to either side, slightly touching hip to floor on each rep.
4. Advanced Plank. Get into ‘plank’ position, focusing on and holding in your core, slowly lift your right arm and left leg, holding for five seconds, then repeat on the other side, lifting your left arm and right leg. Make sure hips are square to the mat and to hold your navel into the spine.
5. Windmill. Press your shoulder blades into the mat and extend your arms to each side. Keeping the knees bent together, lift your legs up and drop the knees side to side. Repeat as many times you would like, going side to side. You should feel the obliques working.
Incorporating these 5 exercises into your weekly routine will shrink and define your waistline to make your tummy bikini yummy! Get your mat and let’s go!
Written By Chelsea Clishem: From San Diego, California to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, this bicoastal girl loves all things travel, beauty, nutrition, fitness, fashion and entertainment. Chelsea graduated from the University of California, Santa Barbara where she began her journey to be an entertainment journalist. Chelsea drops the word ‘fabulous’ on the regular and believes it’s ‘okay’ to freak out with good music and fashion!