April showers bring May flowers! As Mother Nature blooms with bright pinks, purples, oranges and reds, it’s time for us to start integrating these fun colors into our makeup routine. One of the easiest ways to add a pop of color to your look is to wear a bright lipstick. I love bright lipstick because it looks great on everyone, and you can achieve this look on a budget.
Find Your Color
I have some lip color suggestions listed below based on skin color; however, if you find a color that you love – rock it! Bright lips are all about having fun, and adding a flirty pop of color to your look. There is no wrong color, just find a shade that you love and wear it with confidence.
Finding your undertone: If you have pink, red or bluish undertones you are “cool”. If you have yellow or golden undertones you are “warm”. If you have a mix of warm and cool undertones with some green you are “olive”. And, if you are an even mix of warm and cool undertones you are “neutral”.
Dark with Cool Undertones: Pick colors with cool (pink/blue) undertones, such as deep berry, rich purple or blue based reds. For the best brightening effect, pick colors that don’t have much white in them.
- Lipstick Pick: Fashion Fair Lipstick in Sangria
- Where to Buy: Fashion Fair, Macys
- Price: $16.00
Medium with Cool Undertones: Colors with slight blue undertones, such as pure red and brick red, work well with medium cool skin.
- Lipstick Pick: Makeup Forever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick in Matte Bright Red
- Where to Buy: Sephora
- Price: $20.00
Light Skin with Cool Undertones: Bright colors with blue undertones, such as neon pink, compliment light cool skintones.
- Lipstick Pick: MAC Cosmetics Girl About Town
- Where to Buy: MAC Cosmetics
- Price: $16.00
Dark with Warm Undertones: Any bright color works well with warm dark skin, so, take this opportunity to play with your lip color! Try fuchsia or red candy apple.
- Lipstick Pick: Too Faced La Crème Lipstick in Fuchsia Pink
- Whre to Buy: Sephora
- Price: $22.00
Medium with Warm Undertones: Bright yellow based colors, such as bright coral, really pop on medium warm skin.
- Lipstick Pick: NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Timanfaya
- Where to Buy: Sephora, NARS
- Price: $25.00
Light Skin with Warm Undertones: Orange based red or dark coral colors look beautiful with light warm skin.
- Lipstick Pick: Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture SPF15 – Pure Colour Satiny Radiance in Le Orange
- Where to Buy: Sephora
- Price: $35.00 at Sephora.com
Olive (Medium with Yellow Green Undertones): To compliment olive skin, stick with warm colors with a golden hue such as orangey red or tangerine.
- Lipstick Pick: Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in Mandarin
- Where to Buy: Ulta
- Price: $20.00 at Ulta.com
Best Bang for Your Buck
I’m always searching for great products at friendly prices. Luckily, finding a bright lipstick doesn’t have to take a big toll on your wallet. Below are a few of my favorite lipsticks for under $10.
- NYX Matte Lipstick – With its creamy texture, strong pigments and matte finish, this lipstick is a great deal ($6.00 at ulta.com).
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick – Creamy texture mixed with strong pigments make this very accessible lipstick a go-to ($4.19 at ulta.com).
- Boots No.7 Moisture Drench Lipstick – Moisturizing and long lasing, this lipstick is a steal ($9.99 at target.com).
Written by: Lynn Yee is a freelance makeup artist who resides in San Francisco, California and services the Bay Area, Los Angeles and Honolulu. With 10 years of makeup artistry experience, Lynn has worked as a makeup artist for weddings, special events, television, fashion, and photography. Lynn graduated from the University of Southern California and is a licensed Certified Public Accountant. Her business acumen combined with her love for makeup artistry uniquely position her to identify the best beauty products at the right prices and to share effective beauty tips and tricks.